Bone broth is full of minerals and nutrients that help support the bodies natural ability to stave off illness. Add bone broth to your pets regular diet (start with 1/4 cup per 20 pounds) or give along with chicken, turkey, pumpkin or butternut squash if your pet is feeling under the weather. Please call if you have specific questions about your pets diet.
- 1 whole chicken (turkey or beef bones can be substituted)
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 2-3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns, in a tea bag or cheesecloth
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- 1 bunch parsley
- Other herbs to taste (optional)
- Sea salt to taste
- To a crockpot, add all ingredients except parsley, other herbs and salt. Cover with filtered or spring water.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low, then remove chicken meat from the bones. Put the bones back into the broth. (You can break them up to release more of the marrow into the broth)
- Continue to cook on low for 20-24 hours, stirring occasionally. During the final hour of cooking, add the parsley (to pull additional minerals from the bones), any other herbs you prefer and the sea salt.
- Using a strainer or cheesecloth, remove the bones and vegetables, cool and pour into glass jars or containers for storage. Refrigerate for up to one week or store in the freezer.